Tuesday, November 16, 2004

In the Line of 'Fire'

Learning from QueenOfSky's experience at Delta (Diary of a Fired Flight Attendant), troutgirl's at Friendster (ShitCanned), Michael Hanscom's at Microsoft (Of blogging and unemployement), I have made a few changes to my blog for reasons of anonymity. I have removed any mention of my last name, email address and IM handle from this blog...with the assumption that my first name is as common in the bay Area as are Paul, John, George...and Ringo in the UK. More tips here if you need identity protection for your blog.

Things arent exactly rosy at work and while blogging is a welcome distraction I really dont want to join the ranks of the unemployed with my tirades. Its hard dealing with attrition at work, dealing with an exodus is even tougher. Colleagues who constitute a healthy part of a techies social circle are suddenly scarce. I can only take heart from this core truth identified by Buddhism: Everything changes, and our desire for things to stay the same causes us pain. My ranger colleague also motivates me with these lines from the Ranger Creed:

"Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor."

On a lighter note, the bloggers who got fired have found fame...as well as an alternate job which has only whetted their blogging appetites. On the same day that I read about QueenOfSky's termination on news.com (she had posted certain risqué pictures of herself in Delta air-hostess garb on her blog) I read this article in CNN Money about McDonald Gals featuring in a forthcoming edition of a bestselling girlie magazine, as a follow up to their pictorials on Walmart, HomeDepot and Starbucks women in their work attire...and also without their work attire ;)

Guesses on which corporation's women the magazine will feature next...not too sure about Delta Airlines!

No comments: